A Message From the Superintendent
Johns' message from the Spring 2017-18, edition of the "Open Line".
As we head into the summer time, there are many reasons to celebrate another successful school year here in Tumwater. In early May we honored our hard-working staff for their service to students, families and the community during staff appreciation week.
In just a few short days, several hundred of our high school seniors will walk across the graduation stage as the final step in their journey with us. Just prior to spring break, these same seniors gave their Senior Presentations before a panel, sharing their high school experience and their post-high school plans. I had the honor of serving as a panelist and observed some of our amazing students as they revealed their exciting and diverse career plans with us. I’d like to give a huge thank you to the parents, staff and community members who have supported these seniors to prepare them for this next part of their life journey. I look forward to honoring all of them at our upcoming graduation ceremonies!
TSD Strategic Planning Progress Report
As the end of year #2 of our five-year Strategic Plan draws near, we have taken time to evaluate our progress in all six goal areas. The following highlights represent just a few examples of the hard work our staff does on a day-to-day basis. Thank you to our students, staff, parents and many partners for helping us achieve these great results.
- We expanded our coordination and collaboration with early childhood service providers in Tumwater to help more students and parents prepare for kindergarten
- We hosted STEM events for kids ages 0-8
- Increased the number of developmental screening for preschoolers
- We increased mental health services provided in our schools and created new after school opportunities at the middle school level.
- We engaged with community leaders, parents, staff and students to address equity/diversity issues which will lead to ongoing system improvements moving forward.
- We continued our outreach to students needing to finish high school and celebrated 2017 five-year graduation rates exceeding 90% (BHHS: 92.6%; THS: 94.8%)
- Implementation of new instructional materials in elementary math and secondary social studies, and English.
- * Our 6th graders successfully transitioned into our middle school program with added counseling and campus safety staffing added as well.
- We expanded business partnerships in our Career and Technical Education programs, including Toyota, Port of Olympia, DART, and the Thurston County Chamber
- Our community engagement work included new outreach events with our faith-based community which yielded valuable feedback to help us improve.
- We continued to expand community partnerships with agencies and businesses in our area to coordinate support for students, families and staff.
- * 15 parent education opportunities were provided this year, including two events for our Spanish-speaking families.
Operational & Fiscal Effectiveness
- Our Bond-Funded projects at both middle schools and Littlerock were successfully completed with projects at East Olympia and Tumwater Hill underway.
- We hosted a safety summit and continue to invest in safety and security upgrades in our schools as well as safety training for students, parents and staff.
In Tumwater, we continue to capitalize on our Community Schools model which gathers and coordinates public and private partners across our community to provided needed services to students and families. These partnerships have helped us significantly expand school-based supports for our most vulnerable students and families in Tumwater which is also helping increase academic success. We are seeing attendance and achievement results improve and more coordination of services in our community because of the collaboration and communication that is part of these efforts. I am so grateful to serve as a leader in such a supportive caring community and am inspired by the work that is changing lives in significant ways.
If you would like to learn more about our Community Schools work, you can find additional information at the following websites: www.tumwater.k12.wa.us/domain/1704; thurstontogether.org/what-we-do/community-schools
Tumwater is a special community and I continue to feel incredibly honored to serve as your superintendent!