2021-22 Tumwater School District
Inclement Weather/Emergency Closure or Delay Procedures
Sometimes during the school year, we experience inclement weather that causes our schools to close or have schedule changes. In considering these types of closures, the safety and wellbeing of our staff, students and families is priority.
When such a decision is made, families will be notified by an automated phone call, email, and/or text. We will announce closures and delays as early as possible, but not later than 6:00 am. Occasionally, circumstances change quickly that make late announcements unavoidable.
One question we considered when planning for inclement weather this year is: Should we close school or attempt to offer a full day of remote instruction instead? In order to count a remote day as a school day, districts need to ensure that students have access to learning that day. When we have inclement weather that closes schools, families in rural regions of the district sometimes lose power or do not have reliable internet. Additionally, many of our teachers live in areas without reliable internet and would not be able to come to school to teach remote lessons. For both of these reasons, many students would not have access to instruction and assignments for the day. As a result, we will continue to have snow days for inclement weather. If we have to close, the day will be added to the calendar later in the school year.
Inclement Weather/Emergency Closure Options:
- No School/School Closure – Schools may be closed due to widespread power outages, unexpected storms or other weather events. Information about activities planned for the day will be announced by 12 pm on the district website.
- Late Start/Emergency Schedule (usually 2-hour delay) – No AM Preschool, no AM New Market Skills Center session
- Early Dismissal (this is not a normal practice and we avoid making an early dismissal decision if possible) – No PM Preschool, no PM New Market Skills Center session
- Parameters to consider:
- All students being served on-site have left/are accounted for
- Safety, health and welfare of staff are taken into consideration
- A.C.T. Days- These days are impacted by Late Start. If weather causes a late start on a Friday A.C.T. day, students will be released at the regularly scheduled time. There will be no early release for teacher collaboration.
- Limited Transportation/Emergency Routes: Limited transportation will be necessary if some roads are inaccessible or if the County announces road closures. If we need to run emergency routes, you will receive notice and can find emergency routes on our district website.
Stay Informed about Closures and Delays:
- Sign up for FlashAlert to receive an email/text notice
- Update your Skyward Family Access email, home and cell numbers
- Opt in for Text Messaging (text YES to 60680)
- Follow Tumwater School District on Facebook and Twitter
- Visit the district website (tumwater.k12.wa.us) for information and updates
- Call the District Emergency Line 360-709-7999
- Tune in to other news media outlets