2023-24 Tumwater School District
Inclement Weather/Emergency Closure or Delay Procedures
During the school year, we may experience inclement weather that causes our schools to close or have schedule changes. In considering these types of closures, the safety and wellbeing of our staff, students and families is our top priority.
When such a decision is made, families will be notified as soon as possible, but not later than 6 am, by an automated phone call, email, and/or text. Occasionally, circumstances change quickly, which may make late announcements unavoidable.
Inclement Weather/Emergency Closure Options:
No School/School Closure – Schools may be closed due to widespread power outages, unexpected storms or other weather events. Information about activities planned for the day will be announced by 12 pm on the district website. If we close, the school day will be added to the calendar later in the year.
Late Start/Emergency Schedule (usually 2-hour delay) - School will start (the number of hour(s) in notification) late. Drop-off, bus stop pickups, etc., move to the later time based on the closure announcement. For example: a two hour late start for a school that starts at 8:00 would cause school to start at 10:00. School will dismiss at normal time.
- No before-school care
- No Preschool.
- No AM New Market Skills Center.
- No AM Cascadia High School
- ACT Friday: No 75-minute early release. Students will be released at the regular release time for their school.
- TSD buses will pick up students the number of hours in the notification later than their normally scheduled pickup time.
- No zero hour classes.
- No out-of-district transportation.
- Breakfast and lunch will be served.
Early Dismissal (this is not a normal practice and we avoid making an early dismissal decision if possible)
- Parameters to consider: All students being served on-site have left/are accounted for; and the safety, health and welfare of staff are considered
Limited Transportation/Emergency Snow Routes: Limited transportation will be necessary if some roads are inaccessible or if the County announces road closures. If we run emergency/snow routes, you will receive notice and can find emergency routes on our district website by clicking here.
Stay Informed about Closures and Delays:
- Sign up for FlashAlert to receive an email/text notice
- Update your Skyward Family Access email, home and cell numbers (school office personnel can assist with this)
- Opt in for Text Messaging (text YES to 60680)
- Follow Tumwater School District on Facebook and Twitter
- Visit the district website (tumwater.k12.wa.us) for information and updates
- Call the District Emergency Line 360-709-7999
- Tune in to other news media outlets