A Message From the Superintendent
It is my privilege and honor to serve the students, staff, and families of Tumwater School District as your superintendent. Tumwater is a fantastic school district with dedicated teachers and staff, great students, an excellent Board of Directors, and a very supportive community. We strive to ensure all students learn and grow in a caring, engaging environment, and I commit to doing everything in my power to support this mission.
From my experiences as an educator, I know that a school district’s success is a direct result of powerful collaboration between staff, administration, school board, and the community. Our School Board, with involvement of staff, administration, and the community, has adopted six key Strategic Plan goals:
- Early Learning – All Tumwater families will have access to high quality early learning services to prepare students for Kindergarten.
- Whole Child – A system of supports to address social/emotional learning barriers to learning and success will be implemented in each school.
- Choice/Flexibility – Students will have expanded career and college pathway options to help them graduate prepared for post-secondary goals.
- Academic Success – Schools will have academic intervention systems in place to meet the unique learning needs of all students.
- Community Engagement – The district will develop business and community partnerships to help students overcome barriers and provide opportunities for students.
- Operational/Fiscal Effectiveness – Annual reviews of fiscal and operational effectiveness will help us identify and implement efficiencies to achieve district goals.
Nested within each of these goals is a deep commitment to educational equity. We are committed to the success of all students, and this requires that we look at each of our decisions through an equity lens.
Achieving these ambitious goals will require everyone working together toward a common cause. I am pleased to share that as I meet our staff, I meet people committed to Tumwater who are ready to move forward confidently with this work.
As a husband and a father of four, including two who will attend Tumwater schools this fall, I recognize the trust that parents place in our schools and our responsibility to earn that trust every day. I want the very best for each of my own children. Likewise, I want the very best for each of the students we serve in Tumwater School District.
Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” Tumwater has great enthusiasm, and together we will achieve great things. Thank you for your interest in our school district; I look forward to partnering with you in the most important work in the world – the education of children.
Sean Dotson, Ed.D.