• BMS PIE Meeting Minutes

    10/19/17

    Attendees:

    Tara Clemens, Faith French, Ashley Sutherland, Anya Myer, Darby Kaikxoner, Michaela Winkley, Linda O’Shaughnessy, Julie Alonso, Justine Schmidt

     

    Guest Speakers:

    Michaela:

    • homework afterschool snacks: interested in securing donations to support afterschool needs
      • Previous years were supported by: Rivers Edge restaurant; grocery store gift cards
      • Awaiting response on Nisqually Tribal grant – some funds will support food. (find out in a month or two)
    • THS Football playoff games fundraiser – sell concessions
      • TPO Tumwater Parent Organization – funds support student assistance
      • Looking for volunteers - Lana creating a sign-up

     

    Michael Dennis – Together program.

    • Work with school district and community partners to help students get resources to succeed.
    • Working with Y to offer after school program – M/W 230-5 or 530 tentative (meeting Friday to firm up; likely to launch sign-up day with parents to provide more info) - buses for families in need; study hall first then additional fun activities (sports, dance, etc)
      • Some scholarships for students
      • Need volunteers to supplement Y staff and Americorp
      • Need snacks – Thurston County food bank going to offer some support
      • Suggest requesting parent donations – sign-up
    • Thanksgiving turkey basket sign up, winter coats, sleeping bags/blankets for homeless, sock-tober fest
    • Will cont. to come to meetings and share

     

    Revised Bylaws – presented for approval

    • added 6th grade and Julie Alonsoas secretary
      • Motion by Justine; second by Tara
      • Approved

     

    PIE Fundraisers

    • Wreath sales – open for sales now; get 20%
      • Send out flyers: Nov 1 – Dec 17

     

    • Bush blend coffee – run twice after ASB
    1. Christmas: Nov 1 – Dec 1
    2. Spring: TBD

     

    • Amazon Smile, fred meyer, box tops

     

    Teacher requests

    • Art supplies - request for $1-2k – will review
    • Justine to request Grocery gift card requests to support food requests
    • Chevy – volunteer requests
    • Walters/Duncan – 8th grade math help

     

    Parent emails/volunteers

    • Keep a binder of volunteer requests in PIE box – log those that come – request Michelle log
    • Past had volunteer coordinator on PIE board –
      • Disconnect between approved volunteers and access to info
      • Looking for interested volunteers to form a committee – Ashley and Faith interested in more info

     

    Treasurer report

    • Providing snacks for homework club
    • Lifeskills – check written to BMS for $1,000 grant received plus $100 from PIE
    • Safeway PE grant – check to BMS for 5k to purchases equipment
    • Funds expected to be leftover for plaques/lighting/flag
    • $150 approved for STEM
    • $100 HIB – notify teacher of left over funds

     

    Ribbon Cutting/presentation

    • Dedication of flag
    • Lighting installed
    • Ready to put flag up
    • Thursday Oct 26 at 815am
      • Presentations and ribbon cutting
      • Justine requesting contractors be present
      • 9 students plus band students
      • Julie to contact Girl Scouts – present colors??

     

    Box tops

    • Request support from student leadership to glue BT
    • Due Nov 1

     

    Principal fund breakfast – great success; soft numbers $25k raised

     

    Principal update – Linda O’Shaughnessy

    • Picture retake tomorrow 10/20
    • Off to good start – minor construction continues
    • Fundraiser reward day Nov 30, 1-230
      • Chaperones needed
    • TPD offered cyberbullying session for students
    • Student Learning Committee (SLC) – meets every other month
      • Worked on school improvement plan