• Bush Middle School


    Meeting Minutes

    January 19, 2017

    Attendance:   Justine Schmidt, Tara Clemmens, Nancy Manley, Linda O’Shaughnessy, Shawn Guthrie, Amy Vitacolona, Lindsay Bates

     

    Call To Order:  Justine Schmidt called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm

    Welcome:  Introduction of attendees and officers.  Officers include: President: Justine Schmidt – Vice President: Amy Vitacolona –Treasurer: Tara Clemmens- Secretary: Nancy Manley

    Approval of Minutes:  Nancy Manley is making some changes to the December 15th minutes and they will be presented again at the February 15, 2017 meeting.

    Treasurer’s Report:  Tara Clemmens distributed the BMS PIE Transaction Report and the Monthly Treasurer’s Report to the group.  Tara reviewed the income and expenses for the year to date. The Treasurer’s Report was presented and approved.

    Principal’s Report:  Linda O’Shaughnessy reports that the last staff meeting was great.  She encouraged teachers to ask for help with moving and other transition details.  The homework center is up and running Monday and Thursday after school.  Students can attend the Math Help Center Tuesday and Wednesday from 2:40 – 3:40. 

    Business:  President Justine Schmidt met with Superintendent John Bash to clarify how PIE can recruit parent volunteers.  John Bash said he would talk with our district attorney to see how we can legally contact parents without violating privacy laws.  We can call parents who have had background clearances to ask if they would like to volunteer for events.  He suggested that the volunteer coordinator at Bush collect the completed volunteer forms, send them to the DO, collect the approved forms back and put them in a binder kept in the front office.  He also confirmed that directory information can be released to parent organizations.  Linda O’Shaughnessy was able to get PTO leadership information from East Olympia Elementary, Littlerock Elementary, and Peter G. Schmidt Elementary so PIE can ask parents of incoming 6th and 7th graders if they would like to volunteer with PIE for upcoming events. Amy Vitacolona will contact the parent groups from the feeder schools to gather and give out information.

    Justine showed examples or parent group websites from other middle schools in the greater Olympia area.  We all agreed that having a central information place with links to forms, ability to donate was a great idea.  Justine will look into web hosts, costs, upkeep, blogs, and other ways to make PIE information accessible to Bush parents.

    There will be two upcoming information/transition nights for parents of 6th graders Feb. 16th and April 18th

    Lindsay Bates from “Together” presented a summary of what has been happing with her organization around the district.  “Together” covers basic needs for homeless students, helps families in crisis, has pantry/supply closets, offers eye exams and glasses, and distributes donated food and clothing.  They are partnering with North Star Church who received a grant to supply food for students in need.  “Together” is developing an after school art program which would include transportation. 

    Parent volunteers are needed to help pack up the library and classrooms as the remodel progresses.  Links to Sign-Up-Genius will be sent out through the BMS PIE distribution list and the Skyward Family Access emails. 

    Amy Vitacolona will organize the collection and submission of Box Tops.

    Fundraising updates:  $956 /holiday wreaths, $440 /coffee sales, $2,500/Nisqually Grant.  We are still working on the Emergency Principal’s Fund.  $1,500 has been donated for the digital reader board.  We are researching a brick fundraiser that would incorporate brick donations with the new landscape. 

    Brian Hardcastle has been working on STEM grants for Project Lead The Way to create 3 new classes at Bush. 

    The SRO Officer for Bush has been hired and is planning a Parent Safety Meeting in March. 

    We are planning a volunteer breakfast in April to appreciate all of our wonderful volunteers. 

    Custodian Jerry is retiring and we would like to plan a celebration. 

    We discussed teacher appreciation gifts for the staff.