• Bush Middle School

    Meeting Minutes

    October 20, 2016

    Attendance:   Justine Schmidt, Tara Clemmens, Nancy Manley, Linda O’Shaughnessy

    Call To Order:  Justine Schmidt called the meeting to order at 5:30 pm

    Welcome:  Introduction of attendees and officers.  Officers included: President; Justine Schmidt – Vice President; Tara Clemmens –Treasurer; Nancy Manley – Secretary.

    Approval of Minutes:  The minutes of September 15, 2016 were approved as written.

    Treasurer’s Report:  Tara Clemmens distributed the BMS PIE Transaction Report and the Monthly Treasurer’s Report to the group.  Tara reviewed the income and expenses for the year to date.    The Treasurer’s Report was approved and presented.

    Principal’s Report:  Due to the digital training class for parents we did not have a principal’s report.

    Business:  Justine Schmidt created a summary report of our digital accounts and passwords so we all can know how to access information.  We would like to regularly update calendars, websites, Facebook and emails to get information to our parents. 

    Tara Clemmens created a flier with instructions how to order wreaths from Lynch Creek Farms for our current fundraiser. She will put fliers in teacher boxes.  Tara is adding this to the PIE website and sending out emails to parents.  We receive an email for each order and will try to send thank you emails to people who place orders.

    Justine brought an order form from Olympic Crest Coffee Roasters for our current fundraiser.  She will get fliers to BMS November 7th so students can take them home.

    Justine created a Goal/Progress chart for Boxtops to track our progress.  We are thinking of ideas how to easily collect boxtops through local businesses.

    BMS is now set up with Funding Factory to collect used ink cartridges.

    Tara is working on getting a new PO box and finding another key for our current PO box.  We are on a waiting list for a PO box at the post office on Israel Rd.

    There are no new updates on the Nisqually grant request that Justine submitted.

    Justine is beginning the process to set up an emergency principal’s checkbook fund with the Tumwater Education Foundation.

    Justine is checking with Mel Murray in Capital Projects to request donations from contractor companies working on buildings for specific student/staff/educational needs.  We are interested in purchasing a volunteer Online-Kiosk and a Digital Reader Board.

    We are researching how to have more parent contact information forwarded to PIE so we can reach out to parents about ways they can get involved with PIE.

    The upcoming Scholastic Book Fair needs more volunteers. 

    The new Resource Officer will be hired soon for just the middle schools.  We would like to have them teach a parent safety class in January.

    We dismissed early so Kevan Hagen could address parents in attendance about the Learning Hub (library) and demonstrate all the quick links for student/parent help. 

    Heather Siminski, Amanda Cooper, Jonathan Fox and Justin McKaughan taught a parent information class on the latest technology including Skyward, Google Classroom, Docs, Slides and Moby Max.