• Student Transfers

    2024-25 Transfer Request Timeline:           

    February 1  for Grades 6 - 12
    March 1st - Kindergarten - 5th grade

    1. Full-Time Staff: New and Renewal Intra-District and Non-Resident Requests (per RCW 28A.225.225) (Requires Building Level Approval)  
    2. Intra-District: Renewal Transfer Request for any student attending a TSD school outside their TSD resident school (Requires Building Level Approval)  
    3. Intra-District: New Requests (Requires Building Level Approval)
    4. Non-Resident: Renewal Requests (Requires Building Level Approval)
    5. Non-Resident: New Requests (Requires District Level Approval)


    • Intra-District and Non-Resident: New Requests (Kindergarten)

    Transportation:  In all cases where the District approves a transfer, the student's parent/guardian, or student, shall be solely responsible for transportation to and from school.

    Link and forms:  

    Intra-District Transfer (from one TSD school to another TSD school)

    Tumwater families currently enrolled are asked to submit their Intra-District transfer request in Skyward, by logging in to their Family Access account (on or after February 1st) and clicking on the transfer option, which will appear at the top of the page.  **NOTE: Neighborhood School is where your student would attend.  This option will be available to Tumwater families up to the last day of school.  Families without internet access may request a hard copy transfer form from their school office as an alternative. 

    For new students to TSD, the following form may be downloaded. Completed forms should be scanned and emailed to the address listed at the top of the form.  

    Copies are available from any Tumwater school office or the Tumwater District Office.

    Non-Resident Transfers (from another school district to Tumwater School District)

    Copies of the form are available at any Tumwater school or the Tumwater District Office.  The form must be signed by your resident district prior to submitting it.   

    Transferring out of the Tumwater School District

    For Tumwater School District students that would like to enroll in a school outside the Tumwater School District (including an online school), please use the Washington State Choice Transfer Request Portal.  This will release your student from the Tumwater School District and allow you to submit your request to attend another school district.  Please contact your students' current TSD school(s) to notify them of your intent to withdraw. 

    Online Learning - Choice Transfer Request  (transfer from TSD to an 'out of district' online learning program)

    For students who live in the Tumwater School District and would like to enroll in an out-of-district online school.  Complete a Choice Transfer Request on the Washington State Choice Transfer Request Portal

    Other Information:

    Transfers are granted for one school year and are not automatically renewed. Families wishing to remain at their non-resident school must remember to apply for a transfer each year, which may or may not be approved based on district criteria. Students without a transfer request submitted/received by the district on or before the last day of school in the current school year will be withdrawn for the following school year.

    Falsification of an address, residence or conditions of living arrangements to obtain a school assignment may because for withdrawal of the student from that school. Written notice of withdrawal of the student will be sent to the parent/guardian and the resident school district. 

    Students living with someone other than their parent/legal guardian must provide a legal guardianship agreement.  Additional verification may be requested, e.g. letter describing the living arrangements from the family with whom the student resides. In the case of students placed in temporary homes on the advice or direction of a public agency, e.g., Juvenile Court, Department of Social & Health Services, written evidence provided by an agency shall be considered sufficient to demonstrate the necessity of a residential change and/or school assignment.  If an eligible student is homeless per the Federal McKinney-Vento Act, the district shall not require proof of residency or any other information regarding an address and shall enroll the student at the request of the student or parent/guardian as allowable under the McKinney-Vento Act. Please contact either your child's school counselor or the District McKinney-Vento Liaison.

    Transfers may be approved or denied based on:

    • Space, program availability and/or class size
    • Student's disciplinary records
    • Student's attendance records
    • At the high school level, student's academic progress

    Right To Appeal:

    • Intra-District Appeal:  Students/Parents/Guardians have the right to appeal to the Tumwater School District Assistant Superintendent, as outlined in 3131P on the Tumwater School District website.   Policy 3131, Intra-District Transfers
    • Non-Resident Appeal:  Students/Parents/Guardians have the right to appeal to the Tumwater School District Assistant Superintendent, as outlined in 3141P on the Tumwater School District website. In addition, per RCW 28A.225.230(3) and WAC 392.137.190, students/parents/guardians have the right to appeal to the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction to determine if the District complied with state statute, regulations, district policy and procedures.    Policy 3141, Non-Resident Transfers

    Any questions can be directed to transfers@tumwater.k12.wa.us  or you can reach Alison Perkins at 360.709.7036 (6:30am-3:00pm)