February 2020 - A review committee met through the fall/winter to make recommendations for changes to the district student transfer policies and procedures. At the February 13th School Board meeting, the Board approved revisions to policies 3131 and 3141. The approved policies can be reviewed here:
Transfer Request Timeline:
March 1 - 31
- Full-Time Staff: New and Renewal Intra-District and Non-Resident Requests (per RCW 28A.225.225)
- Intra-District: Students requesting to continue in their current school
- Students displaced from their current school by a boundary revision
- Intra-District transfer renewals
- Intra-District: New Requests (1st-12th Grade)
- Non-Resident: Renewal Requests
April 1 - 30
- Non-Resident: New Requests (1st-12th Grade)
- Intra-District and Non-Resident: New Requests (Kindergarten)
Transfers are granted for one school year and are not automatically renewed. Families wishing to remain at their non-resident school must remember to apply for a transfer each year, which may or may not be approved based on district criteria. Students without a transfer request submitted/received by the district on or before the last day of school in the current school year will be withdrawn for the following school year.
Falsification of an address, residence or conditions of living arrangements to obtain a school assignment may be cause for withdrawal of the student from that school. Written notice of withdrawal of the student will be sent to the parent/guardian and the resident school district.
Students living with someone other than their parent/legal guardian must provide a legal guardianship agreement. Additional verification may be requested, e.g. letter describing the living arrangement from the family with whom the student resides. In the case of students placed in temporary homes on the advice or direction of a public agency, e.g., Juvenile Court, Department of Social & Health Services, written evidence provided by an agency shall be considered sufficient to demonstrate necessity of a residential change and/or school assignment. If an eligible student is homeless per the Federal McKinney-Vento Act, the district shall not require proof of residency or any other information regarding an address and shall enroll the student at the request of the student or parent/guardian as allowable under the McKinney-Vento Act. Please contact either your child's school counselor or the District McKinney-Vento Liaison.
Transfers may be approved or denied based on:
- Space, program availability and/or class size
- Student's disciplinary records
- Student's attendance records
- At the high school level, student's academic progress
Transportation: In all cases where the District approves a transfer, the student or the student's parent/guardian shall be solely responsible for transportation to and from school.
Right To Appeal:
- Intra-District Appeal: Students/Parents/Guardians have the right to appeal to the Tumwater School District Assistant Superintendent, as outlined in 3131P on the Tumwater School District website.
- Non-Resident Appeal: Students/Parents/Guardians have the right to appeal to the Tumwater School District Assistant Superintendent, as outlined in 3141P on the Tumwater School District website. In addition, per RCW 28A.225.230(3) and WAC 392.137.190, students/parents/guardians have the right to appeal to the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction to determine if the District complied with state statute, regulations, district policy and procedures.
Blank transfer forms and instructions to complete these forms can be found below.
Intra-District Transfer (from one TSD school to another TSD school)
The following forms may be downloaded for submission during the summer. Completed forms are to be submitted to the Student Learning Office at 621 Linwood Avenue SW in Tumwater or to the email address listed at the top of the form.
If you do not have the ability to print the form, copies are available from any Tumwater school office or the Tumwater District Office.
Currently enrolled Tumwater families are asked to submit their Intra-District transfer request by logging in to their Family Access account and clicking on the transfer option, which will appear at the top of the page. This option will be available to Tumwater families up to the last day of school. Once school dismisses for the year, only hard copy forms will be accepted and date stamped. Families without internet access may request a hard copy transfer form from their school office as an alternative.
Non-Resident Transfers (transfer from another school district to Tumwater School District)
- Non-Resident transfers require a signed Release of Attendance
- Some school districts use the Washington State Choice Transfer Request Portal to submit the Release of Attendance electronically, please contract your resident school district to inquire about their release forms and process.
- If you are unable to use the online portal, please complete the Non-Resident form and submit it to the Student Learning Office at 621 Linwood Avenue SW in Tumwater or to the email address listed at the top of the form.
If you do not have the ability to print the form, copies are available at any Tumwater school or the Tumwater District Office.
Transferring OUT of the Tumwater School District?
For students who live in the Tumwater School District and would like to enroll in a school outside of the Tumwater School District, please use the Washington State Choice Transfer Request Portal. This will release your student from the Tumwater School District and allow you to submit your request to attend another school district. Please contact your students current TSD school(s) to withdraw.
Online Learning - Choice Transfer Request (transfer from TSD to an online learning program)
For students who live in the Tumwater School District and would like to enroll in an out-of-district online school. Complete a Choice Transfer Request on the Washington State Choice Transfer Request Portal
If you are unable to complete the Choice Transfer using the Washington State Choice Transfer Request Portal, please complete the form below and submit it to the Student Learning office or email it to the address on the form.
If you do not have the ability to print the form, copies are available at the Tumwater District Office.
Any questions can be directed to email@example.com or call the message line at 360.709.7996. You can reach Alison Perkins at 360.709.7036 (6:30am-3:00pm)