- Black Hills High School
- Office User Specialist
Office User Specialist Syllabus 2023Posted by Joe Derrig on 8/21/2022
- Office User Specialist Syllabus 2023
Office User Specialist focuses on learning the Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word 2019, Power Point 2019, and Excel 2019. We will also touch on Outlook; OneNote; Word 2019 Expert and Excel 2019 Expert. In this class we will look into computer basics, the internet, “cloud” services and the web. We will also look into the challenges of security and privacy in this digital world. Students will learn how to effectively incorporate technology tools into their daily academic and personal lives. This class will teach the necessary skills needed to pass the Microsoft Office Specialist Exam for Word 2019, PowerPoint 2019, and Excel 2019. The exam is an industry certification which is recognized industry wide as proof of knowledge and skill in the application of these programs.
Microsoft Office Suite
- Word Expert
- Excel Expert
- Pen or pencil, a notebook or paper.
Guidelines for Success:
- Attendance – you are expected to be in your assigned seat ready to participate with ENTHUSIASM when the bell rings.
- Sit in your assigned seat – attendance will be taken based on the seating chart.
- Work cooperatively and respectfully with your peers and teachers as a team. Respect equipment, materials and supplies.
- Treat guest speakers and teachers with respect.
- You are responsible for obtaining all make up work. All assignments will be posted weekly on the white board as well as in your Google Drive account.
- Use appropriate language at all times.
- Electronic devices are not to be SEEN or HEARD during class time. Please see “Personal Electronic Device Acceptable Use Policy” (attached).
- No food or drink in the room.This is a computer lab.
- Do your own work.Cheating will result in a failing grade (a “0”) for that task.
90% Assessments/Tests/Projects (ATP)
Included with ATP are: Business Work Habits (21st Century Skills)
10% Daily Work/Homework: the practice needed to master and succeed at ATP
Grading (Use Skyward Family Access to check your grades often)
- A 93-100
- A- 90-92
- B+ 87-89
- B 83-86
- B- 80-82
- C+ 77-79
- C 73-76
- C- 70-72
- D+ 67-69
- D 60-66
- F 0-59
This is a project based class. In class, much of what you learn will be from demonstrations, activities, and projects, as well as assignments and tests. If you are not in class, this learning cannot happen. Therefore, attendance is a must and attention/participation will have an impact on your final grade.
- Use skyward, located on the BHHS home page, to access your assignments and grades.
- To conserve paper and help students develop responsibility, students and guardians should access Skyward to stay current on progress.
- Please read comments that may be provided by your teacher for assignment scores.
- A score of zero indicates an assignment has not been completed or has not been turned in. Occasionally, student may have a file saved on their “H” drive but may not have printed or submitted it to my drop box.
- Please note that Skyward uses an asterisk (*) to denote that no grades have been posted for an assignment and a message appears indicating that the assignment is missing and past due. However, in Office User Specialist an asterisk means that we have entered an assignment description, point value, assigned date and due date but that we have not corrected and/or entered the score into Skyward. In the case of asterisks, please be patient with us.
Daily Work, Projects and Tests
Point values (ranging from 5 to 100) for assignments and assessments vary based on the formative or summative nature of the task. Watch the overhead, white board, teacher web page and/or written rubrics for assignment details, points possible, and due dates. It is extremely important that you have regular attendance and that you arrive to class on time to ensure that you don’t miss out on demonstrations, directions, and lab time.
When absent you will miss something and you will need to make up what you missed. Your teacher will explain how you find out what you missed during your absence(s).
Students, who do not keyboard quickly, will need outside of class time to complete assignments.
Late Work/Make-up Work
The expectation is that all work will be turned in on time. However, it is understood that this is not always possible. The goal is to help you be successful and I will work with you to allow you to complete your work for this class, however, you need to make an effort in class and outside of class when needed. Remember to talk to your teacher.
Leadership/Employability Skills (21st Century Skills)
Throughout the class period, your teacher will observe your ability to begin assignments quickly; follow directions; stay on task; arrive on time; keep your material organized; assist others; cleanup your work area and other traits as indicated on the Leadership/Employability skills handout. The purpose of this is to practice “soft skills” that are vital to developing workplace skills. Leadership is an integral part of all CTE (Career and Technical Education) courses, and we encourage students to continue building upon the skills learned in class by participating in the CTSO (Career and Technical Student Organization). One such option at Black Hills High School is DECA an international association of high school students of marketing, management, and entrepreneurship in business, finance, hospitality, and marketing sales and services. If you are interested in joining please contact your teacher.
Even if you have good keyboarding skills, you can benefit from additional practice. The curriculum in this class does not include “teaching” you how to type. If you are having difficulty keeping up on the assignments because you don’t type quickly, you will need outside of class time to complete assignments. To improve your keyboarding skills, search on-line for free typing sites or use the following free sites to practice, practice, and practice.
We will use web based curriculum in this class. Therefore, a loss of internet privileges occurring outside this class and/or during this class will affect your entire schedule and prevent you from completing assignments while at school.
Please realize that school technology is not your personal property and your “H” drive and internet use will be monitored by our technology staff. Please do not modify the desktop settings to meet your individual needs. This includes changing color schemes, themes, adding desktop icons, unplugging components, etc.
The Black Hills High School Electronic Resources and Network use information from the Student Handbook will be reviewed and adhered to in class.
Attendance (Follow School Policy)
- Tardy – Loss of leadership/work habit points.
- Unexcused Absence/Truancy – We will enforce the steps outlined in the student handbook.
- Disruption of Learning Environment – first, the teacher will talk to the student to get to the root of the problem. If the behavior continues, the teacher will email/call home to seek parental support. Finally, the teacher will refer the student to the office (see student handbook).