Name: Yolanda Grave de PeraltaRoom: P-1Subject: Spanish 1 & 2Phone Number: (360) 709-7613Email: email@example.comProfessional BiographyI earned both my Masters in Education and my Bachelors of Science in Environmental Policy and Assessment at Western Washington University in Bellingham, Washington. While at Western I completed the required credits in Spanish to earn a certification of endorsement in Spanish. I have enjoyed teaching Spanish over the past years as it has afforded me the opportunity to get reacquainted with my family's Spanish heritage. My family emigrated from Cuba to the United States in 1961 and in order to learn more about my family heritage I traveled to Miami, Florida in 2015 and to Guadalajara, Mexico in 2016 and 2017. The accounts of these trips can be seen at my ePortfolio link below.My professional goals are to continue to find effective ways of integrating technology into the Spanish curriculum and to make Spanish rewarding and fun through project based learning. I want to increase the positive impact I have on my students through encouragement, modeling good practices, and constantly believing in the power of a positive attitude.Favorite quote"Without fear, without doubt, without discomfort in what we're doing, what is there for any of us to overcome?" Serena Williams2020-21 Schedule
Period 1 Spanish 1 Period 2 Spanish 1 Period 3 Spanish 1 Period 4 Prep Period 5 Spanish 2 Period 6 Spanish 2Quizlet - Go here to study our vocabAsi se Dice! Book Review - Study Spanish Here!Duolingo - A great place to study SpanishRead Lang - Go here for reading practiceAbsences: Go to Google Classroom to find out what you missed!Grades:10 % Engaged learning20 % Quizzes30 % Presentations40% Assessments/Projects
Engaged Learning (class/home work): Turn-in on or before the due date. Earn 50% on work turned in late.Presentations: 15% deducted if late / 10% if presented outside of class timeCheating Policy: Students who are caught cheating will earn a zero score & will not be allowed to complete a retake.Anything that can be construed as cheating will result in the above policy. This includes having a cell phone on your person, talking during the exam, looking at another student's exam, answers or notes written on paper or body parts etc.
Multiple opportunities to demonstrate learning:
Re-assessments may be offered for part of an assessment or all of it, or in a different format, as determined by the teacher.
When re-assessments are offered, all students may be re-assessed, regardless of grade on original assessment, if they meet the following requirements:
Complete all assigned homework & classwork (formative assessment)
Complete re-teaching/re-learning activities, as determined by the teacher.
- Student does not have an unexcused absence on the day of the exam.
Why Study a 2nd language?1) Advance your career - between 2010 and 2015, the number of U.S. job postings specifically geared toward bilingual candidates more than doubled.1
All retakes must be completed prior to the summative assessment of our next unit. There are no re-assessments on unit exams or presentations.
2) Feed your brain - People who speak more than one language have improved memory, problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, enhanced concentration, ability to multitask, and better listening skills.
3) Deepen your connection to other cultures - Greater understanding, in turn, promotes greater tolerance, empathy, and acceptance of others—with studies showing that children who have studied another language are more open toward and express more positive attitudes toward the culture associated with that language.
4) Develop Insights - Sheds light on aspects of our own language and culture—both positive and negative—we may not have previously considered. You may find a greater appreciation for what you have.
5) See the world - Bilingual travelers are more easily able to navigate outside the tourist bubble and have the unique opportunity to communicate with a wider range of people. You will be shaped by communities. You will be humbled by the kindness of strangers. You will build lifelong friendships.