• Home Based Instruction
    Parents/guardians wishing to homeschool their child(ren) must turn in a Declaration of Intent to Provide Home Based Instruction with their school district by September 15th of each school year, or within two weeks of the beginning of any trimester. In order to be eligible to homeschool, parents/guardians must meet at least one of the following criteria:
    • The parent/guardian instructing the child(ren) has earned 45 college-level credit hours; or
    • The parent/guardian instructing the child(ren) has successfully completed a course in home-based instruction at a post-secondary institution or a vocational-technical institute; or
    • The instruction is being supervised by a Washington State certificated teacher a minimum of one contact hour per week per child being home schooled.

    The parent/guardian should contact their child(ren)'s school to let them know that they are withdrawing to homeschool. This, along with the Declaration of Intent to Provide Home Based Instruction, notifies both the school and the district that the student is no longer enrolled. Once the completed form is received as described below, the school can officially withdrawn the student.  Please note that this process can sometimes take day a couple days and therefore, you may continue to receive communications from the school during this time.  The withdrawal date in Skyward will reflect the date the completed form was received.

    Parents/guardians will be responsible for obtaining curriculum and providing instruction or hiring a certificated teacher as well as ensuring that the student participates in any required State testing. Parents/guardians can work directly with the school their child(ren) would attend based on your home's physical address to arrange for participation in testing.
    Students in home-based instruction are entitled and welcome to enroll in district schools as part-time students (dual enrollment) and receive ancillary services - assessments, specific courses, sports and activities - on a space available basis, provided the student is otherwise eligible for full-time enrollment in the district. Requests for dual enrollment will require completion of the third page of the Declaration of Intent to Provide Home Based Instruction and submitting it to the school your child(ren) would attend based on your home's physical address.
    Completed Declaration of Intent to Provide Home-Based Instruction forms must be submitted to Becky Parsons at the District Office at 621 Linwood Avenue SW or emailed to becky.parsons@tumwater.k12.wa.us or faxed to 360-709-7052. If you have questions and would like to discuss requirements and options, you can contact Becky at 360-709-7007.  There may be situations in which Becky will refer you to the Assistant Superintendent Shawn Batstone to discuss your situation. A meeting with the Assistant Superintendent is often required if parents are making the decision to homeschool outside of the timelines described at the top of this page. 
    Additional Useful Information
    You are encouraged to follow the links to dowload and view or print this information.
    The Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction website has additional information and resources.