1st decide if it is safe to stand up to the person bullying - (if it is not safe than report):
- Are they a lot bigger or older than you?
- Is there more than one person ganging up on you?
- Do you feel trapped?
- There is no ne around tht could help if you needed it
If it is safe here are the steps to standing up to them:
- Get cool and calm - don't let them know you are scared
- Stand up straight and tall
- Look straight at the person
- Label it. Say, "that's bullying," or "I feel bullied."
- Say "no," or Say, "I want you to stop," or "leave me alone."
- Walk away calmly
When to report bullying to an adult:
- Immediately when someone isn't safe
- You've tried to refuse it, but the bullying continues
Tattling vs. Reporting:
- Tattling is when someone is trying to get someone else in trouble
- Reporting is when a student tries to keep someone from getting hurt (has to do with safety)
What to Report:
- Who is bullying?
- What are they doing?
- Where are they bullying? (classroom, playground, bus, etc...)
- When are they bullying? (before school, after school, lunch recess, etc...)
Information from Steps to Respect Curriculum