Communicating with Your School Board
Citizen Communication/Input:If citizens wish to express themselves regarding a specific school, teacher or child, dialogue should begin at the level closest to the concern:Step #1: Visit with the teacher or guidance counselor.Step #2: Visit with the principal (If a school-wide concern, this becomes step one.)Step #3: Visit with the Assistant Superintendent.Step #4: Visit with the Superintendent. (If the citizen is not able to resolve the concern, he/she should request the person at that level to assist them in the process of moving to the next level.)Step #5: If all other avenues have been exhausted, the citizen may request in writing a hearing or meeting before the School Board of Directors.
PUBLIC COMMENT SIGN UP - Due by 12 PM on the day of the Regular Board meeting
Tumwater School District Regular Board Meetings are open to the public and allow for members of the public to attend and sign up to address the Board on a topic that interests them. Board Workshops and Retreats are not required to provide time for Public Comment. In order to allow the Board to conduct its business and give the opportunity for others to present, there is a process around Public Comment, which is outlined below:
- Individuals wishing to comment in-person must fill out the Public Comment Form
- Each speaker will have up to 3 minutes to present
- A maximum of 30 minutes will be reserved on the agenda for all public comment
- Comments regarding personnel issues will not be accepted in this forum
- Any uncivil comments, as defined in Policy 1400 - Meeting Conduct, Order of Business and Quorum, will be considered a disruption and may result in the recess of the meeting
Contacting Board Members Through EmailCitizens wishing to express themselves regarding policy, boundaries, finances, or other responsibilities of the Board are able to contact Board members. Email addresses are available at this link. Board members will discuss citizen concerns with the appropriate staff person.
To obtain more information about School Board members, or to obtain a copy of the Operating Protocols, please call the Tumwater School District Office at 360-709-7000.