School Board Operating Protocols
Board members are committed to serving the students, parents and community members and to providing a high quality public education. To achieve this goal, the Board has established operating protocols to help govern its role and actions at meetings.
The Board feels the operating protocols will help enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of Board meetings while maintaining mutual respect and opportunities for sharing diverse viewpoints. The Board believes that the success of the Tumwater School District depends on a shared vision among its members, staff, parents, students and community.
- Planning, policy making, and communication.
- Advocating for the children and families of our district.
- Focusing on the best interests of students.
- Advocating for quality public education.
- Reviewing all agenda material and coming prepared for each meeting.
- Taking action only as a group at regular or called board meetings. Board members shall not act privately on behalf of the Board.
- Keeping confidential any issues discussed in executive session.
- Attending all Board functions unless excused.
- Work with other Board members, the Superintendent and staff, striving for teamwork.
- Be respectful of each other and our right to differing opinions.
- Avoid interrupting fellow Board members.
- Limit our comments on a specific item to three minutes at a time.
- Focus on the issue on the table.
- Strive for consensus to the extent possible.
- Be respectful (understanding) of all Board decisions, regardless of how we voted.
- Be courteous and respectful to all participants and expect the same in return.
- Respect the civil and human rights of all members of the community.
- Listen and seek to understand.
- Base decisions on the available facts and independent judgment.
- Make decisions in the best interests of the students, parents and the educational process.
- Be open to new concepts and make decisions in support of the Strategic Plan.