• faq


    Frequently Asked Questions



    Where can I find current job openings listed for your member districts?

    To apply for open positions, please click on this link.


    Where can I find the reference forms?

    Reference forms for administrator, certificated, classified, co-curricular, are located at www.EdJobsNW.org Select Find a Job, then click on Reference Requirements. You may download as many forms as needed. Applicants are responsible for emailing the form(s) or printing and hand delivering them to a current or former supervisor. Reference forms and or letters should be completed and uploaded to your account prior to submitting your application. Note: Reference forms are non-confidential.


    What types of references should I list on my application?

    Applicants are required to enter three (3) reference contacts on his/her application. Only list professional references; friends or family members will not be considered. Professional references should be a current or former supervisor, generally within the last five (5) years. Supervisors with volunteer experience are also accepted.


    What makes an application complete?

    When filling out the application, be sure to complete each section fully and honestly. The required sections are marked with a red asterisk (*). All required attachments should be uploaded to your application prior to submitting. Resumes do not replace the work history section of your application. It is recommended to include the last ten years of work history. If you were a stay-at-home parent/guardian, include that in your work history. Transcripts that you upload to your application are considered unofficial. Official, sealed transcripts may be requested by the district upon being hired.


    After applying, what is the time-frame to hear back about the position?

    The time it takes for districts to contact you can vary. On average, from the closing date, you can expect up to two weeks for review by the hiring manager and for interviews to be set up. If selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you via phone.


    I have additional questions about what a position entails. Whom do I contact?

    If you have job-specific questions, you will need to contact the district’s Human Resources office at 360-709-7020.


    If you have questions about how to apply, you will need to contact the ESD 113 office at 360-464-6855


    What does it mean when a posting is listed as continuous?

    When a posting is listed as continuous, it means that there is not a set closing date. However, the district can pull the posting from the site at any time, so it is recommended to apply as soon as possible. Some districts will list a best to apply by date in the job description.


    I forgot my password and I have already tried the reset password link. Whom do I contact for assistance?

    You will need to contact the Support Tech Line at 855-524-5627 for assistance.




    Do substitute teachers need to be certified?

    The State of Washington requires that substitute teachers possess a valid Washington State Teaching Certificate. To apply for a certificate or if you have questions regarding certification, contact the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) at http://www.k12.wa.us/certification or 360-725-6400.


    What is an emergency substitute teacher?  *At this time TSD is not accepting applications for emergency sub teachers*

    An emergency substitute teacher is typically someone that has not gone to school to become a certificated teacher, but has a rich background and the skills, knowledge and ability needed to teach students.


    To qualify for an emergency substitute teacher certificate, you must:

    1. Possess a Bachelor’s Degree; and
    2. Pass a Washington State Patrol (WSP) and Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) fingerprint and background check; and
    3. Be sponsored by one or more of our participating school districts for the emergency guest teacher certificate; and
    4. Once the district request has been submitted to OSPI, create and log into an E-Certification account to complete and submit the application for certification.
    5. After you have received your certification from OSPI, go to www.EdJobsNW.org, and apply for the Emergency Substitute Teacher position.


    An Emergency Substitute Teacher Certificate is issued/valid for two school years.


    NOTE: Emergency substitute teachers are generally used by a district when there are no more regularly certificated substitute teachers available.


    How do I apply to be a substitute employee and how long does it take to be placed on the list?

    Apply through our website, www.EdJobsNW.org. The time it takes to be placed on the substitute list varies based on a variety of things. Once we receive a completed application, it is usually processed and approved within 5-7 business days.

    To ensure that your application will be processed as quickly as possible, be sure to:

    • Submit a fully completed online application which includes:
    • Ten years of work history (if applicable); including any non-education related work
    • Enter a minimum of three (3) professional reference contacts (preferably current or former supervisors)
    • Enter all education
    • Upload all required attachments
    • Complete the fingerprint/background process. Results generally take 5-10 business days to clear and be available in the OSPI fingerprint database.


    If you have any questions regarding your application, you may contact us at subservices@esd113.org or 360-464-6857.


    I’m interested in becoming a substitute employee, but I have never worked in the education field. Who should I ask to complete a reference form(s)?


    We are looking for a current supervisor that can speak to your skills and abilities as an employee. We prefer educational-based references, but we will accept references from a non-educational supervisor or from volunteer experience.


    When do I get paid?

    Pay day is always the last working day of the month. NOTE: Payment is always at least a month behind. (e.g., Time worked in January is paid at the end of February; time worked in February is paid at the end of March, etc.)


    Do substitute employees earn sick leave?

    As a substitute employee, you may accrue paid sick leave at a minimum rate of one hour of paid sick leave for every 40 hours worked. Note: Paid sick leave is accrued separately by each district in which you work. Paid sick leave may be used beginning on the 90th calendar day after you are placed in the guest employee pool.


    Do I have to work every day?

    One of the perks of being a substitute employee is the flexibility to set your own schedule. However, we encourage guest employees to work as often as possible. School districts are always in need of assistance.


    Do guest employees qualify for unemployment benefits during school year breaks or holidays?

    Under federal law, educational employees (including substitute employees) are not eligible for unemployment insurance benefits during break periods in situations where they have “reasonable assurance” that they will continue working after the break.


    How do I change my address or phone number?

    The Substitute Employee Services office prefers that you email us any changes at SubServices@esd113.org. If you are unable to email us the information, you may call us at (360) 464-6857.


    What do I need to do if I have a name change?

    If you have a name change, you need to visit the payroll office for each district in which you work. You will need to provide an original Social Security Card reflecting your new name. The district will make a copy of your Social Security Card and update their records. The district will contact the Substitute Employee Services office to notify us of the change.

    I am an emergency substitute teacher. Can I search for and accept assignments online?

    State law mandates that guest teachers with regular Washington certification fill assignments before utilizing emergency guest teachers. Emergency substitute teachers may accept jobs on the morning of an assignment or, in that instance, no other regularly certificated guest teachers are available.


    What do I need to do if I am no longer available to be a substitute employee?

    You will need to email the Substitute Employee Services office at SubServices@esd113.org. Be sure to include your name, the reason you are no longer available, and the date on which you wish to be removed from the pool of substitute employees.


    Why do I receive calls to work when I am not available?

    If you are unavailable for work or you are working in a district outside of our coverage area, you need to log in to your Aesop account and add a Non-Work Days to your calendar. This will let the system know that you are not available during the dates and times listed, and will not call you in the morning call-out period to offer you work. If you are going to be unavailable for an extended period of time, in addition to adding Non-Work Days in Aesop, please call the substitute Employee Services office at 360-464-6857 so we can make a note in your file.