Tumwater School District Legislative Priorities 2023
Equitable & Stable Funding
Funding that reflects current reality:
- Revise the transportation funding formula to create equity in access to high-need services and to fully fund actual costs.
- Eliminate inequities in local levy authority and local effort assistance
- Fully fund Special Education Services. Due to current funding formulas, TSD locally funded approximately 1.6 million for special education services out of enrichment levy funds. These should be fully funded as part of basic education.
- State salary allocations for certificated instructional staff should be adjusted upwards for districts that exceed the statewide average of certificated staff experience or exceed the statewide average of certificated staff advanced degrees, or both.
Equity, Health & Safety to support student success
TSD's mission is "Continuous Student Learning in a Caring, Engaging Environment"
- Fund behavioral supports and social emotional learning for students, including increased funding for school nurses, counselors, and social workers for youth, and continue support for trauma-informed instruction within a social emotional framework for students.
- Update the prototypical school funding formula to structure a staffing model that promotes an equity-based education system of support for students.
Capital Region Educational Service District 113 Legislative Priorities